How Do I?Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We have a list of frequently asked questions that you may find useful. If you do not find the information you need, please call us or use our help center contact form to let us know what questions you may have. 

  • HCV (Housing Choice Voucher) FAQs
  • PBV (Project-Based Voucher) FAQs

HCV (Housing Choice Voucher)

What is the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program?
The Housing Choice Voucher Program was formerly known as the Section 8 Program. The Housing Choice Voucher program is designed to help eligible families obtain affordable housing and to provide increased housing choices.
Are you accepting applications for the HCV Program?
We are accepting applications for some of our developments, but not for the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
How long will I have to wait for a Housing Choice Voucher?
The wait will depend on your rank on the waiting list and the amount of funds available to provide rental assistance under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
How long may a participant remain on the program?
A participant remains eligible for the program as long as the PHA has a housing assistance payment (HAP) to pay to the owner and the participant does not violate any program regulations.
How long does a participant have to look for a unit?
The initial term of the voucher is 60 days. Depending on certain circumstances you may apply for an extension for an additional 30 days or longer.
What determines the number of bedrooms I qualify for?
For each family, the PHA determines the appropriate number of bedrooms under the PHA subsidy standards.
Where may I use my voucher?
You may search for suitable housing anywhere in the HASBARCO service area; of if eligible you may use the portability option. You may also continue to live at your present unit. Wherever you decide to live must first be approved by HASBARCO by the unit being the appropriate size for your family, the rent must be reasonable and the unit must pass a housing quality standard inspection.
What is portability?
A participant family that has been issued a voucher has the right to use tenant-based voucher assistance to lease a unit anywhere in the United States providing that the unit is located within the jurisdiction of another PHA.
What is my annual recertification?
The PHA is required to reexamine each family's income and composition at least annually, and to adjust the family's level of assistance accordingly.
What if my income changes?
You must report all changes in your income and household composition in writing to your Section 8 Specialist.
May I move other people into my assisted unit?
You may add others to your family/household composition; however, they must be approved by HASBARCO before they may move into your assisted unit.
Who is responsible for paying my utility bills?
You must refer to the HAP lease to determine the responsible party. Utilities must be current at all times whether the family or the owner is responsible for paying the bill; even when a utility service is not being used because of climate conditions, that utility service must be connected and the bill current.
How do I qualify for the HCV Section 8 Program?
The applicant family must qualify as a family as defined by HUD and PHA, have income at or below HUD-specified income limits, qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members, provide social security number information for family members as required, consent to the PHA's collection and use of family information as provided for in PHA-provided consent forms, past behavior of household members must not include activities that are prohibited by HUD or the PHA.

PBV Frequently Asked Questions

What organizations are eligible to apply for project-based voucher funding from HUD?
There are no appropriations for this program and HUD does not allocate funding for project-based voucher assistance. Instead, funding for project-based vouchers comes from funds already obligated by HUD to a PHA under its annual contributions contract (ACC). The PHA can use up to 20 percent of its housing choice vouchers for project based vouchers.
What families are eligible to obtain project-based vouchers?
Any eligible family on a PHA's housing choice voucher waiting list that is interested in moving into the specific project. Owners select families for occupancy of a particular unit after screening each family.
How do families obtain project-based vouchers?
PHAs refer families, who have already applied to a PHA for housing choice vouchers and are on the PHA's waiting list, to properties that have project-based voucher assistance when units become vacant.
How much rent do vouchers cover?
The PHA pays the owner the difference between 30 percent of family income and the gross rent for the unit.
How are project-based vouchers different from tenant-based vouchers?
Under the participant-based housing choice voucher program, the PHA issues an eligible family a voucher and the family selects a unit of its choice. If the family moves out of the unit, the contract with the owner ends and the family can move with continued assistance to another unit.

Under the project-based voucher program, a PHA enters into an assistance contract with the owner for specified units and for a specified term. The PHA refers families from its waiting list to the project owner to fill vacancies. Because the assistance is tied to the unit, a family who moves from the project-based unit does not have any right to continued housing assistance. However, they may be eligible for a tenant based voucher when one becomes available.
What type of contracts do PHAs sign with property owners under this program?
The PHA and the owner execute an agreement to enter into housing assistance payments (HAP) contract. Under this contract the owner agrees to construct or rehabilitate the units, and the PHA agrees to subsidize the units upon satisfactory completion of the rehabilitation or construction.

Upon satisfactory completion of the rehabilitation or construction and for existing development, the PHA and the owner execute a HAP contract for a ten-year term that is dependent on availability of funding under the PHA's ACC with HUD. The HAP contract establishes the initial rents for the units and the contract term, and describes the responsibilities of the PHA and the owner. HAP contracts can be renewed subject to availability of funding.
How do PHA's select units for inclusion in this program?
The PHA must adopt a written policy for selection of units to which assistance will be attached and must publicly advertise that it will accept owner proposals for the project-based voucher program. Generally, rents are set based upon market comparables and may not exceed 110% of the published existing housing fair market rents. Substandard rental housing is eligible if rehabilitation costs are at least $1,000 per unit.

New construction of rental units is also eligible as well as standard existing housing. Rental units assisted under certain other Federal housing programs (e.g., rental rehabilitation, public housing) cannot be assisted with project-based voucher assistance.
How should interested owners or prospective owners of rental property apply for this program?
Contact the local PHA to determine whether the PHA administers a project-based voucher program and to obtain information.
What type of funding is available under the project-based voucher program?
No specific funding is provided by HUD. PHAs may use up to 20% of the funds in its housing choice voucher program to provide project-based assistance.
What regulations cover this program?
Regulations are found at 24 CFR 983.